Saturday, July 15, 2017

Schubert, Franz Peter. (1797-1828) Symphonies No. 5 & 6.

Franz Peter Schubert.

New acquisition.
Date of purchase: January 2016.
First listen: 14-7-2017.
Label: Zig-Zag Territoires.
Recording dates:  October/December 1996.
Recording venue: No. 5, Concertzaal, Tilburg, The Netherlands, No. 6, Luna theater Brussels, Belgium.
Recording engineer: Bert van der Wolf.
Running time: Approx 57:00.
Relevance to me: Essential.

Works performed:
Symphony No. 5 in B flat major. D. 485.
Symphony No. 6 in C major. D. 589.

Performed by: 
Anima Eterna, Jos van Immerseel.

As in Beethoven, the same happens with Schubert. I am totally convinced that this performance is how it should be. We are all familiar with the Symphonies of Schubert, and they are very much liked, and rightly so. I even appreciated them more by this performance in which all has gone to the right proportions. I always comfort myself with the thought that it must have sounded like this in the days of Schubert. And again I must say that I did not hear both symphonies better performed as on this disc. All seems to be right. What I said in my previous review about Beethoven is applicable to the Schubert interpretations. It is fast, detailed, poetry pur sang. Expressive, dynamics well applied and spot on tempi. The message is clear, insistent and all revealing. Immerseel might be termed a genius. In fact he is the prime precursor of what is to come in the future. What I said earlier about artistic growth is clearly audible, a work in progress and a fast learning curve. Immerseel has a awesome control, thus the rhythmic momentum is to be marveled at. A perfectly and thoughtfully calibrated gradation in touch and shading, subtle accelerations in the best possible light. Orchestrally rich in expression, deeply impressive in the moulding of Schubert's melodic creativity, and an eagerness to unearth the many treasures in both symphonies. What more does one need?
The recordings are very good. 



Riisager, Knudåge. (1897-1974) The Symphonic Edition, Volume I.

New acquisition. Date of purchase: November 2017. First listen: 21--11-2017. Label: Dacapo. Recording dates: September 2010 & Februa...