Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Knights, Maids and miracles, The Spring of Middle Ages. CD 1. Specvlvm Amoris, Lyrics from Mediaeval love from Mysticism to Eroticism

From my collection.
Bought in November 2016.
First listen: CD 1. 16-11-2016.
Second listen: 3-5-2017.
Label: Arcana.
CD 1 from 5.
Recording dates: March 1992.
Recording venue: The Church of St. Vigilio, Col San Martino, Treviso, Italy.
Recording engineer: Pere Casulleras.
Running time: 51:30
Relevance to me: Pretty much essential in this line of music.

Works performed:
See heading.

Works performed by:
La reverdie.

When I ordered this set I expected the best one could have in Mediaeval music on the market, and I was not disappointed. It's like clouds of musical incense, scented and illuminating. I read good reviews, and other classical friends made me aware of this ensembles quality and excellence. It is a journey quite literally back in time, and one has the feeling that this is exactly the way it was performed. I sounds to my ears very authentic. Of course we know nothing at all, or very little, how things were done in that time in all aspects, but nevertheless I can imagine it was like this, and that's all that matters in the end. Voices and instrumentalists are excellent, and the texts of this first CD are very spicy indeed, you never have to guess what the meaning is, that is very clear. Well it's part of every age and time, so I lean back and enjoy the ride!
The recording is very good, clear as a church bell. The soundstage is amazing.



Graupner, Christoph. (1683-1760) Partitas for Harpsichord. Volume I.

New acquisition. Date of purchase: July 2017. First listen: 26-7-2017. Label: Analekta. Recording dates: September 2001. Recording v...