Tuesday, April 18, 2017

The Leiden Choirbooks, Volume I. CD 2.

New acquisition.
Bought in April 2017.
First listen: 18-4-2017.
Second listen: 17-10-2017.
Label: Etcetera.
CD 2 from 2.
Recording dates: January 2010.
Venue: Laurentiuskerk, Mijnsheerenland, The Netherlands.
Sound engineer: Tom Dunnebier.
Total time: 62:40.


Works performed: 
Nicolas Gombert. (c.1495-c.1560)
Missa Beati Omnis.

Anonymous.
Missa Sancta Maria.

Performed by:
Egidius Quartet & College.

I have to get used to the voices, this I admit. They are pure in tone, and generous with dynamics and loudness in a different way to which I am used to. Clear toned, with a clear diction, it needs a careful choosing which volume to use on your equipment. Play it too loud it will likely give you a headache, play it softly you might miss details. So careful adjusting is the name of the game.
The Sopranos are a better proposition as the counter tenors in this ensemble. The men tend to be too loud at times, and too much on the foreground. ( recording choice) These are the only quibbles I have, as far as the recording/performance goes. As with the first disc the choir balance is excellent, and I already hear a marked improvement in the choir members listening better to each other, and so with establishing a more effective dynamic all around.
Gombert's Missa is a masterwork, no doubt about that, the interweaving of the voices is a balm to my ears. The different colours and all the melody lines, are coming together in a perfect way. The anonymous piece is not less in quality, on the contrary it's as good as Gombert's piece, and also boost a polyphonic perfection, that has much on offer. I think I have made a good choice in buying the set.




Riisager, Knudåge. (1897-1974) The Symphonic Edition, Volume I.

New acquisition. Date of purchase: November 2017. First listen: 21--11-2017. Label: Dacapo. Recording dates: September 2010 & Februa...