Wednesday, April 5, 2017

"Su Wu" Zhonghu Concerto and Five pieces for Erhu and orchestra. (Chinese Music series)

From my collection.
Bought in 2010.
First listen: 27-9-2010.
Second listen: 23-10-2012.
Third listen: 5-4-2017.
Label: Marco Polo.
Recording dates: May 1987.
Recording venue: Tsuen Wan Town Hall, Hong Kong.
Recording engineer: Teije van Geest.
Running time: 53:15.
Classical relevance to me: Essential.

Works performed:
Su Wu concerto for Zhonghu and orchestra.
Five pieces for Erhu and orchestra.
1) The Shepherd Girl.
2) Ballad of Yubei.
3) Song of Yang Guan.
4) Singing the Night among Fishing boats.
5) Dance of the Snake.

Works performed by:
Wong On Yuen, Zhonghu and Erhu.
Hong Kong PO, Yip Wing Sie.

This is one of the most treasured discs I have in this series. I have tried to get many more, but they are mostly OOP.
I love the sound of the Erdu and Zhonghu, even more so because a master on this instrument is playing them. All the pieces on this CD are classics, but they sound as fresh as daisies to my ears. The Hong Kong PO performing under the baton of the female conductor Sie is exemplary. There is a perfect balance between soloist and orchestra, and the recording from 1987 is actually very good. A good front to back image, and all the details can be heard. This you especially notice in the Dance of the snake, were some percussion is used to heighten the effect of this wriggling snake. I also love the Su Wu concerto to bits. It transports me to a place of peace and tranquility.
Very much recommended.



Live organ Concertos in the Netherlands.

Today I attended two organ concertos in the Netherlands. The first concert was in a place called Zandeweer near the Dutch coast, and the org...