Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Sallinen, Aulis. (1935-) Symphonies No 2 & 4, and other orchestral Works.

From my collection.
Bought in 2009.
First listen: 14-10-2009.
Second listen: 19-10-2009.
Third listen: 5-4-2017.
Label: CPO.
Recording dates: January/October 2003.
Recording venue: De Geer Hall, Norrköping, Sweden.
Recording engineer: Stephan Reh.
Running time: 70:54.
Classical relevance to me: Essential.
Reference performance.
State of the Art recording.

Works performed: 
Symphony No. 4, opus 49.
Symphony No. 2, opus 29. (Symphonic Dialogue)
Concerto for Horn & Orchestra, opus 82. (Campane ed Arie-Bells and Arias)
Mauermusik, opus 7.

Performed by:
Esa Tapani, Horn.
Martin Orraryd, Percussion.
Norrköping SO, Ari Rasilainen.

I have always been a great admirer of the music by Aulis Sallinen, despite the fact that he can go quite modern. From pure tonality to atonality and back. But his way of orchestration bowls me over everytime when I play music of him. For he also is one of the best 20th century composers we have, there is no doubt about this in my mind and to my ears.
It was some time ago I have played this disc, so it was kind of new to me. Listening to the fourth symphony I knew exactly why I bought the music. This work reminded me strongly of Jean Sibelius. The very structure of the work evoked many images in my mind that came close to what Sibelius did. It is brimful with images and so effectively projected, that it took me no time to lose myself in this wonderful world. The second symphony is a work for percussion and orchestra, powerful and forcing it's way into the world with sonorous percussion of all kinds, performed by Martin Orraryd, who has found his little kingdom in this work. He is a robust performer, and has clearly a firm grasp of all the instruments he is using. The sound of this CD is class A State of the Art, and believe me you will been blown away with the proper equipment.
The Horn concerto is a virtuoso piece of the highest caliber, and not music to be casual about as a performer. However Esa Tapani is  a master on the instrument, and he masters the concerto in all its facets. I like the concert, but it did not appeal as much as the rest of the music on this disc.
Mauer musik is about the so called lawful killings at the East German wall. As such it is a statement and a very impressive work.
This is one of the best recordings I ever heard. The sound is beyond a mere state of the Art....




Graupner, Christoph. (1683-1760. Partitas for Harpsichord, Volume 4.

New acquisition. Date of purchase: July 2017. First listen: 21-7-2017. Label: Analekta. Recording dates: June 2004 Recording venue: ...