Monday, April 10, 2017

Poulenc, Francis. (1899-1963) & Hahn, Reynaldo. (1875-1947) Orchestral works.

From my collection.
Bought in 2010.
First listen: 7-9-2010.
Second listen: 19-9-2011.
Third listen: 10-4-2017.
Label: Hyperion. (Helios series)
Recording dates: January 1989.
Recording venue: Not mentioned.
Recording engineer: Tony Faulkner.
Running time: 64:02.
Classical relevance to me: Well worth having.


Works performed:
Poulenc.
Sinfonietta.
Aubade.

Hahn.
Le Bal de Béatrice d'Este.

Performed by:
The New London Orchestra, Ronald Corp.
Julian Evans, Piano.

A nice disc with some good music, but not all of it convincing to me.
I simply loved the Sinfonietta, such easy going and well written music, with a positive outlook and some fun surprises. The third movement "Andante cantabile" reminds you forcibly of a movement from one of Johannes Brahms symphonies. Nicely done, with a nice lilt to it. As a whole I find the work convincing. It has all the characteristics for which Poulenc is known.
Aubade is again a well written work, and a tad more serious in its conception, What I find utterly disturbing is that the added piano is making an unwelcome entrance. It is as if a sonata for piano solo is making an attempt to integrate with the orchestral part, and I find that totally unconvincing. Its insistent hammering away at odd places in the work irritates me more as I would have ever thought. I am not condemning this work, but merely giving vent to my feelings. I just concentrated on the orchestral parts as best as I could. Still I do not warm my heart at this cold fire.
On the other hand Hahn's piece also with a added piano is a work of great beauty, in which the instrument is softly placed between the strings and winds. An integral part, that makes sense and is in total harmony. I do not have much of Hahn, but this tastes so sweetly that I will try to get some more of him.
The performance is excellent and the recording top notch.





Graupner, Christoph. (1683-1760) Partitas for Harpsichord. Volume I.

New acquisition. Date of purchase: July 2017. First listen: 26-7-2017. Label: Analekta. Recording dates: September 2001. Recording v...