Monday, April 24, 2017

Irgens-Jensen, Ludvig. (1894-1969) Symphony in D minor, and other orchestral works.

From my collection.
Bought in 2012.
First listen: 20-1-2012.
Second listen: 24-1-2012.
Third listen: 24-4-2017.
Label: CPO.
Recording dates: May 2009.
Recording venue: The Lighthouse, Poole, Dorset, England.
Recording engineer: Phil Rowlands.
Running time: 66:47.
Classical relevance to me: Essential.

Works performed:
Symphony in D minor. (Original version) 1942.*
Air. (1959).* 
Passacaglia. (1928)

* World Premiere Recordings.

Performed by:
Bournemouth SO, Bjarte Engeset.

It was some time ago that this disc was in my player. I had forgotten how special this composer was, so this was a reminder of that fact. Now the first two works are among the peaks of 20th century Norwegian orchestral music. I have a hard time to determine if that is so, for this I lack the necessary knowledge of all the music around that time. But I can affirm that this music does deserve a place in Norwegian classical music, for it is extremely beautiful and easy to approach. Basically it is very romantic music, broad spectrum warmth with considerable emotional depth, although the second WW and his horrors were at the basis of this music. This fact is hard for me to accept, for the music certainly does not bring this message about. It is simply a stunning and fascinating work, orchestrated with great skill. The Passacaglia is a work that was much admired by the likes of Stravinsky,  and Toscanini. After listening to it I share that admiration. It is a well conceived orchestral piece, that has a lot of expression and a invigorating content.
Phil Rowlands made a fine recording of it, and the performance is a matching partner.


Riisager, Knudåge. (1897-1974) The Symphonic Edition, Volume I.

New acquisition. Date of purchase: November 2017. First listen: 21--11-2017. Label: Dacapo. Recording dates: September 2010 & Februa...