Friday, April 21, 2017

Famous Organ Music from Europe, on the reconstructed Organ by Johann Andreas Silbermann. CD 6.

From my collection.
Bought in April 2016.
First listen: 22-12-2016.
Second listen: 21-4-2017.
Label: Ars Musici. (Membran box)
CD 6 from 10.
Recording dates: July 2002.
Recording venue: Benediktinerkirche St Georg, Villingen.
Recording engineer: Daniel Scheidegger.
Running time: 76:19.
Classical relevance to me: A valuable recording and for me essential.

Works and composers and performers on this disc 6.

Louis Nicolas Clérambault (1676-1749)
Suite du Premier Ton.
Organist: Christian Schmitt.

To my ears a most satisfying and excellent performance. Schmitt plays with a certain urgency and so keeps the music exciting and interesting. His narration is fluently and he has a very clean uncluttered tone. The recording is nothing short of amazing.

Johann Ulrich Steigleder. (1593-1635)
From the Tabulature Book, "Dass Vatter unser...".
Organist: Christoph Bossert.

A composer I did not know, it's new in my collection and a premiere hearing for me. A composition with a rich tone to it.  Pre Bach, it already has quite a weight to it, and a musical maturity that amazes me. It is played in the manner of a Toccata 4 vocum. A very impressive it is. It is a constant flow of pure melodic music that carries a lot of expression. The urgency with which Bossert plays this piece is invigorating and spot on! The recording is amazing too.

Juan Bautista José Cabanilles. (1644-1712)
Pasacalles de Primo Tono.
Organist: Christoph Bossert.

A nice contemplative piece, with long lines, in which the composer takes its time to colour the melodies. It is meant to stimulate your soul into a spiritual mood. And that works. Again impressive performance and recording.

Nicolas de Grigny. (1672-1703)
Veni Creator Spiritus.
Organist: Marc Schaefer.

A fine composition by Grigny, a composer I admire and love. By now I have a lot of his music. Apart from the inherent quality of his music, he has a good promotor in Marc Schaefer, who finds the right balance in giving this music just that extra push to make it extremely accessible. The Ebb and Flow is marvelously portrayed, and one is quickly immersed in this wonderful musical work created by Grigny. Well recorded too.

Marc Schaefer (1934)
Improvisation.
Organist: Marc Schaefer.

Melodic and tonal piece. Not much in the sense of being a composition of great worth, but nice enough and well played. The stops he is using are great fun, and the harmonies thus created makes for a pleasant listen. And that's all, at least for me. Well recorded.

Jean Adam Guillaume Guilan. (c. before 1702-1739?)
Suite du Troisième Ton.
Organist: Hans Musch.

I like the music by Guilan, always did, and have already a sizable collection of his music, be it that it is divided over many discs in my collection. A composer that did not enjoy a long life, but created in his short life beautiful organ pieces. They are well played by Musch, an organist I did not encounter before. But than that is applicable to all organists in this box. Again played with some urgency but without losing grip on the melodic content. What a rich era it was for this instrument. Very enjoyable. I like the registrations used. Well recorded.

Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750)
Pièce d'Orgue.
Très vitement-Gravement-Lentement.
Organist: Stephan Rommelspacher.

A organist that I have never encountered before. It is well played but less to my liking. In Bach it is more critical how you present the music. Impressive yes, but I like my Bach differently.
Good recording.

My final opinion about this CD is, that it's one of the best recordings in this box, almost State of the Art. As to the interpretation of the works, most excellent. A very enjoyable 76 minutes of well presented organ music. The Organ is a wonderfully reconstructed instrument. It sounds fantastic.
Recommended.





Graupner, Christoph. (1683-1760) Partitas for Harpsichord. Volume I.

New acquisition. Date of purchase: July 2017. First listen: 26-7-2017. Label: Analekta. Recording dates: September 2001. Recording v...