Friday, April 28, 2017

Brian, Havergal. (1876-1972) Orchestral works. Symphony No. 11&15.

From my collection.
Bought in 2010.
Label: Naxos.
First listen: 26-6-2010.
Second listen: 29-3-2014.
Third listen: 28-4-2017.
Label: Naxos. Previously released on Marco Polo.
Recording dates: 1993 & 1997
Recording venue: National Concert Hall, Dublin.
Recording engineers: Chris Craker, and Dave Harries.
Running time: 77:10.
Classical relevance to me: Well worth having.

Works.

Concert Overture: "For Valour" (1902-06)
Comedy Overture: "Doctor Merryheart. (1911-12)
Symphony No. 11. (1954)
Symphony No. 15. (1960)

Performers.

RTE National SO, Tony Rowe and Adrian Leaper.

Brian is never an easy ride and certainly not in the case of the boisterous "For Valour" which reminded me of Edward Elgar's "In the South" and that was before I read the booklet, so it was pretty obvious. In essence I find it to be a good piece, but a bit to restless for its own good. It's dynamics are outrageous especially in the closing measures.
The Comedy overture is relatively an easy piece. It's is well scored, and gives quite a bright picture of Doctor Merryheart. I liked this work a lot.
Symphony No. 11 is work in which Brian shows yet again how well he orchestrates, and although I like what I hear it does not really leave an indelible impression. I find the moments were he incorporates a rest from all the turmoil the best phases in this composition.
No 15 in one movement begins quite boisterous like the Concert overture, and it seems that he will continue in the same technical stance which he took in No, 11, and he does. There are not many places where spirituality has a role, but orchestral brilliance is a permanent resident. And for me that's the essence of what I hear.
The recording is quite good, with huge dynamics well processed, and a reasonably good sound stage. As to the performance I cannot be definitive really, for I have little comparison. But it's accomplished and disciplined. 


Riisager, Knudåge. (1897-1974) The Symphonic Edition, Volume I.

New acquisition. Date of purchase: November 2017. First listen: 21--11-2017. Label: Dacapo. Recording dates: September 2010 & Februa...