Friday, March 24, 2017

Smetana, Bedřich. (1824-1884) Incidental music from his Operas. Volume II.

From my collection.
Bought in 2010.
First listen: 24-3-2010
Second listen: 11-3-2011.
Third listen: 24-3-2017.
Label: Chandos.
Recording dates: October 2008.
Recording venue: Studio 7, BBC Broadcasting House, Manchester, England.
Recording engineer: Stephen Rinker.
Running time: 72:33.
Classical relevance: Well worth having.

Works performed:
See front booklet.

Performed by: BBC Philharmonic, Gianandrea Noseda.

I bought this CD together with other Chandos CD'S in a sale, which does not occur on a regular basis. Chandos keeps out of the way in discounting the price of their productions. This time I was lucky I guess. Well Smetana's incidental music from his many operas. I do not listen to opera, but I am quite happy to listen to the instrumental music out of these works. And this disc is full of it. I almost never heard any of the music, so after all the years of gathering dust, they were still new to me. I like the sublime writing, so full of joy, drama, and reference to lost and gained love. All lovingly played by this orchestra in fine Chandos sound. One day I must get the other volumes of this series. 73:00 minutes is a long stretch, but I took it all in one gulp, and reckoned that this was a tad to much in one hearing, for my thoughts kept wandering. Nothing to do with the quality of the music, probably the mesmerizing effect of the notes.




Bach, Johann Sebastian. (1685-1750) The Complete Works for Organ. The Isoir Edition. CD 3.

New acquisition. Date of purchase: January 2016. First listen: 20-9-2017. Label: La Dolce Volta. CD 3 from 15. Recording year: 1991. V...