Friday, March 24, 2017

Rózsa, Miklós. (1907-1995) Orchestral Works, Volume I.

From my collection.
Bought in 2010.
First listen: 24-4-2010.
Second listen: 8-3-2011.
Third listen: 24-3-2017.
Label: Chandos.
Recording dates: January 2008.
Recording venue: Studio 7, New broadcasting House, Manchester, England.
Recording engineer: Stephen Rinker.
Running time: 74:46.
Classical relevance to me: Well worth having.

Works performed:

Overture to a Symphony Concert, opus 26a. (1956, revised 1963) to Eugene Zador.
Three Hungarian Sketches, opus 14. (1938, revised 1958) for full orchestra.
Tripartita, opus 33. (1971, revised 1972) for orchestra.
Hungarian Serenade, opus 25. (1932, revised 1946) for small orchestra.

Performed by: 
BBC Philharmonic, Rumon Gamba.

I always admired Rózsa for his unbridled artistry, and genius of orchestration. No doubt he belonged to the best of them in his time. There is not a single work that falls below this high level of creativity. His works are always propulsive, energized to the max, and brimfull the picturesque ideas. His music is at times raw and uncensored, driven and unrelenting, but knows as much pastoral and spiritual moments. Never boring, always surprising, and technically perfect. The overture dedicated to Eugene Zador, whom I admire also, and of which I have several CD'S, is stunning in it's conception, and I am sure Zador would have loved it. I think it is the strongest work on this disc. But then I love all what is on offer. Rarely he steps out of tonality. A bit stretched here and there but not much.
The recording is of Chandos quality, so very good. The performance could not be better.





Riisager, Knudåge. (1897-1974) The Symphonic Edition, Volume I.

New acquisition. Date of purchase: November 2017. First listen: 21--11-2017. Label: Dacapo. Recording dates: September 2010 & Februa...