Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Ravel, Maurice. (1875-1937) Orchestral Works. CD 4.

From my collection.
Bought in December 2015.
First listen: 18-12-2015.
Second listen: 15-3-2017.
Label: Alpha
CD 4 from 5.
Recording dates: October 2005.
Recording venue: Concertgebouw Brugge, Belgium.
Recording engineers: Markus Heiland & Martin Nagorni.
Running time: 72:05.
Classical relevance to me: Essential.

Works performed:

Bolero.
Pavane pour une infante défunte.
Concerto pour la main Gauche.
Rhapsodie espagnole.
La Valse.

Performed by:

Anima Eterna Brugge, Jos van Immerseel.

Well I can say that after the fourth CD in this box that Immerseel is redefining the music, and well known music at that. I never liked the Bolero much, thinking it an empty and puffy thing, but Immerseel made me rethink, although Ravel discarded the work as a mere trifle. This conductor is getting the music back in proportion, and highlights all the details in the scoring of Ravel. Things you often never hear, although when played in the right way you will hear them. And I heard them. There is a definitive authentic ring to these interpretations, and this impression strengthens through the complete box. The concerto pour la main gauche, floats as if in mid air. I like it, and was constantly reminded of Debussy. It has a strong orchestral expression at times that made me sit up. The Rapsodie Espagnole is a marvelous work, beautifully defined by this orchestra. On top of that these recordings are all state of the art, the sound is fabulous. I wholeheartedly recommend this set.



Live organ Concertos in the Netherlands.

Today I attended two organ concertos in the Netherlands. The first concert was in a place called Zandeweer near the Dutch coast, and the org...