Monday, March 13, 2017

Ravel, Maurice. (1875-1937) Mussorgsky, Modest. (1839-1881) Orchestral Works.

From my collection.
Bought in November 2015.
First listen:16-12-2015.
Second listen: 13-3-2017.
Label: Alpha.
CD 3 from 5.
Recording dates: January 2013.
Recording venue: Concertgebouw Brugge, Belgium.
Recording engineer: Markus Heiland.
Running time: 48:12.
Classical relevance to me: Essential.


Works performed:

Ravel.
Ma mere l'oye, cinq pièces enfantines. Suite-1911-12.

Mussorgsky.

Tableaux d'une exposition. 
Orchestration: Ravel.

Performed by: Anima Eterna Brugge, Jos van Immerseel.


We all known the works on this CD, in fact we all know all the works in this box, they are as familiar as tea in the morning for an Englishman. So what makes them so special that made me go directly to my internet shop and order it? It's the performance of these pieces, they are exceptional!  Immerseel's tempi's are slower, sometimes much slower, but that is all with a reason. For the orchestral picture is so open, that you literally hear details previously unknown. Honestly, Mussorgsky's piece sounds different from anything you ever heard, but then that goes for all composers recorded in this box. Immerseel goes back to the original scores and makes them sound fresh as a daisy. You can wander through all desks even when the orchestra goes full blast or to a ppp. There is a true ring in it all, that makes it for me truly unique. I would say, you all need this box in your collection and be stunned. No matter what your favourite is, this one will fit in nicely. And what is also a fact that all recordings are State of the Art. I am frequently blown away into raptures playing it on my reference system. I do hope that Alpha collects another 5 cd's in a box for a giveaway price, I'll be the first to order it.

Firmly recommended.




Riisager, Knudåge. (1897-1974) The Symphonic Edition, Volume I.

New acquisition. Date of purchase: November 2017. First listen: 21--11-2017. Label: Dacapo. Recording dates: September 2010 & Februa...