Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Paderewski, Ignacy Jan. (1860-1941) Symphony in B minor. (Polonia) opus 24.

From my collection.
Bought in 2011.
First listen: 8-3-2011.
Second listen: 28-3-2017.
Label: Hyperion. (Helios)
Recording dates: January 1998.
Recording venue: Greyfriars Church Edinburgh, Scotland.
Recording engineer: Philip Hobbs.
Running time: 74:21.
Classical relevance to me: Mildly interesting.

Works performed:
See heading.

Works performed by:
BBC Scottish SO, Jerzy Maksymiuk.

A very long Symphony, and it would even be longer if Paderewski would have composed the intended Scherzo. I am glad he did not. This work is often performed with cuts in the score to the first and third movement. Normally I would not understand such drastic measures, but in this case I am more lenient as I would have been otherwise. For to my ears it is too long. At times the music is lingering on in a late romantic fashion, but comprehension is dwindling along the road, and the mind wanders off, to do other things. Normally I can sit listening concentrated of what is going on, but the problem with this work is that almost nothing is happening, apart from being nice music. It has not sufficient impact on me I am sorry to say. I appreciate the effort but it could have done in half the time, and the work would have been stronger for it. I liked it, but I will not return to it.
The recording is good, the performance also. Listen to samples before you buy.


L'Orgue Classique Français 1650-1800. 150 ans de musique du Grand Siècle à la Révolution Française.CD 2.

New acquisition. Date of purchase: 2016. First listen: 20-9-2017. Label: Ligia. CD 2 from 10. Recording dates: 2007/2000 Venues: See b...