Monday, March 20, 2017

Langgaard, Rued. (1893-1952) The Complete Symphonies. CD 2.

From my collection.
Bought in 2013.
First listen: 4-3-2013.
Second listen: 20-3-2017.
Label Dacapo.
CD 2 from 7.
Recording dates:  Between 1998-2008.
Recording venue: Danish Radio Concert Hall.
Recording engineer: Jan Oldrup.
Running time: 68:00
Classical relevance to me: Essential.

Works performed:
Symphony No. 2, (Awakening of the Spring) For Soprano solo and Orchestra.
No. 3, (The Flush of Youth-La Melodia) for Piano solo, Orchestra and Choir.

Performed by:
Inger Dam-Jensen, Soprano.
Per Salo, Piano.
Danish National SO-Vocal ensemble and Choir. Thomas Dausgaard.

After a long time I came back to these recordings. And after listening for the second time I came to the conclusion that I find them to be exceptionally good. This composer is simply bubbling  over with gorgeous melodic ideas that keep tumbling over each other like an unstoppable waterfall. I liked every single note, one by one. The richness of his scoring does not lead to a mass of sound, but to a perfect tonal harmony, of which I think you will not find in the same manner with other composers of his time. All what one can imagine as musical expression Langgaard delivers with ease. It was for me a revelation all over again. I heartily disliked the first Symphony, but 2 and 3 are in my ears masterworks. For me it was a pity that I could not play the third movement of Symphony No. 2, for singing like this, is too offensive for my ears. Did not like the soprano and her shrill voice. But I had enough quality in the first two movements to cover the defect in the third movement.
Symphony No 3 has a solo piano in it and well it is played by Per Salo, brilliant even. The choir comes in, in the last movement of this symphony and is well integrated into the score, so it did not greatly bother me. The portrayal of Langgaards genius is perfectly translated by the forces involved. The recording is good, my only quibble is, be it a minor one, that the timpani gets a bit boomy at times, it simply does not spread out in the acoustics of the hall, but apart from that it's easy on the ear, with good detail. All very easy on the ear. 
I will return to this CD.


Graupner, Christoph. (1683-1760) Partitas for Harpsichord. Volume I.

New acquisition. Date of purchase: July 2017. First listen: 26-7-2017. Label: Analekta. Recording dates: September 2001. Recording v...