Friday, March 24, 2017

Janáček, Leoš. (1854-1928) Orchestral Works. Reference recording (Performance) Top recommendation.

From my collection.
Bought in 2010.
First listen: 17-3-2010.
Second listen: 24-3-2017.
Label: Hyperion.
Recording dates: June 2004 & January 2005.
Recording venue: Caird Hall, Dundee, Scotland.
Recording engineer: Simon Eadon.
Running time: 59:54.
Classical relevance to me: Essential for the last 3 works of this CD.

Works performed:
The Eternal Gospel, Legend for Soprano, tenor, chorus and orchestra.
The Ballad of Blaník.
The Fiddler's child, ballad for Violin and orchestra.
The excursions of Mr. Brouček, Suite for orchestra.

Performed by:
BBC scottish SO, Ilan Volkov.
Elizabeth Layton, Violin.

When I bought this CD in 2010, the works performed were new to me. Now after almost 7 years of gathering dust, I familiarize myself again with 3 fantastic works. I forgot how good they are, and what a wealth of creativity from the hands of this composer. It does not matter which work you choose to listen to, it is apparent that these are not simply easy going pieces, but they are extraordinarily wrought into masterworks. As simple as that. I was utterly stunned by the Fiddler's Child, and blown away by The Excursions....The writing is sublime, the pacing perfect, and the expression beyond believe. The best Janácek I have heard so far. Would love more of this. But all falls and stands with the orchestra and soloists, so I am happy to say that think them reference performances. Furthermore it is a State of the Art recording. Very much recommended.
I did not sample the Eternal Gospel, this configuration is not for me I am afraid.




L'Orgue Classique Français 1650-1800. 150 ans de musique du Grand Siècle à la Révolution Française.CD 2.

New acquisition. Date of purchase: 2016. First listen: 20-9-2017. Label: Ligia. CD 2 from 10. Recording dates: 2007/2000 Venues: See b...