Monday, February 6, 2017

Pejačević, Dora. (1885-1923. Orchestral Works and Songs.

From my collection.
Bought in January 2017.
First listen: 6-2-2017.
Second listen: 23-2-2017.
Label: CPO.
Recording dates: February 2014.
Recording venue: Konzerthalle "C.P.E. Bach"Frankfurt. (Oder) Germany.
Recording engineer: Stephan Reh.
Running time: 49:50.
Classical relevance. For me, essential.

Works performed:
Overture opus 49 in d minor.
Verwandlung, opus 37,  for Alt & Orchestra. Text by Karl Kraus.
Liebeslied opus 39,  idem, text by Rainer Maria Rilke.
Zwei Schmetterlings lieder opus 52, idem, text by Karl Henckel.
Piano Concerto opus 33 in g minor.

Works performed by:
Ingeborg Danz, Alt.
Oliver Triendl, Piano.
Brandenburgisches Staatsorchester Frankfurt, Howard Griffiths.

Collecting all the music from this female composer, this is the last one as far as I know that CPO will record. They have covered most of her work, apart from the many Lieder that is, and probably some chamber music. Be this as it may, this music is like the working of serotonins on me. As if I have eaten a pound of chocolate without getting sick. She is almost the only composer from which I can stomach vocal music, and from this particular time. Even better, I would like to have more of this. Those that know my musical tastes will see the enormity of this indulgence. Liebeslied opus 39 set on a text by Rilke takes my breath away, as does opus 52, short but immensely beautiful orchestral songs. Verwandlung opus 37 is more solemn and serious in character, and has some suppressed emotion bubbling to the surface. 
The overture is the last orchestral piece she wrote, and is well written, fast and furious. The piano concerto, the first orchestral piece she wrote is somewhat derivative, especially Edvard Grieg comes to mind. There are some original ideas in it all, but it did not capture me right away. Maybe I have to listen to it more often. Oliver Triendl is a fine pianist, but to my ears he missed the poetical and emotional content by some hairs. Still I am glad I have this concerto. Ingeborg Danz is a fine Alto, who applied, thank God, little vibrato, with her soft voice. She has a rich golden depth that captures your attention immediately.  The recording is very good as is the performance. 
I beg for more!



Graupner, Christoph. (1683-1760. Partitas for Harpsichord, Volume 4.

New acquisition. Date of purchase: July 2017. First listen: 21-7-2017. Label: Analekta. Recording dates: June 2004 Recording venue: ...