Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Music in the New World. Renaissance Music from Mexico. CD 4.

From my collection.
Bought in September 2016.
First listen: 6-9-2016.
Second listen: 4-1-2017.
Label: ERATO.
Disc 4 from 6.
Recording dates: January 1991.
Recording venue: The Priory Church of St. Mary and St. Blaise, Boxgrove, Chichester Sussex, England.
Recording engineer: Simon Rhodes
Running time: 60:13.
Classical relevance: Essential in this kind of music.

Composers on this disc.

Hernando de Franco.
Juan de Lienas.
Cristóbal de Morales.
Alonso Lobo.
Francisco Guerrero.
Juan Gutierrez de Padilla.
Pedro de Escobar.

Performed by:
The Hilliard Ensemble.

The last CD of this day.
I keep myself repeating the praises I already heaped on the previous recordings in this box, but there it is. I cannot do otherwise as repeat it. Believe me if there would be a note wrong or incoherent singing I would jump on it and waste a flood of words criticising it. But alas, all is well in the castle of the Hilliard clan. An interesting line up of composers, most of them I know, although I am not sure about Liena and Padilla, I will have to look into my collection.  The Pater noster by de Morales is a dream, so well sung, and Juan de Lienas his Salve Regina had me on the edge of my seat too. So much to enjoy.
The recording is extremely well done. Recommended.



L'Orgue Classique Français 1650-1800. 150 ans de musique du Grand Siècle à la Révolution Française.CD 2.

New acquisition. Date of purchase: 2016. First listen: 20-9-2017. Label: Ligia. CD 2 from 10. Recording dates: 2007/2000 Venues: See b...