Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Marenzio, Luca. (c.1553-1599) Sesto Libro Madrigali, 1594. ( L'arte del Madrigale, CD 2.)

New acquisition.
Bought: September 2016.
First listen: 31-1-2017.
Label: Glossa.
CD 2 from 9.
Recording dates: February 2001.
Recording venue: Chiesa della BV Maria del Monte Carmelo al Colletto, Roletto, Italy.
Recording engineer: Davide Ficco.
Running time: 54:07.
Classical relevance: Essential.

Works performed:
See heading.

Works performed by:
La Venexiana.

The first CD of this set I heard in September 2016, so I somehow lost my bearings on this set, because I forgot about it after September, due to a great influx of  CD'S. Selecting some sets to be heard in my office, I stumbled over this box in my listening room. As being always interested in Italian Madrigali, I decided to start listening again, and what a good decision that was.
Marenzio is a great musical poet and a painter of the finer details in Madrigali. This CD proves that point abundantly. The sensual texts, brought in luscious tones out on this CD, is amazing and totally convincing. The soloists are vocally so entwined, that it actually becomes one body of singers, uttering one message. It is no mean feat, if every soloist in his or her own right, succumbs to the greater aim of sounding like one body, and yet keep a vocal distinction that blends and stands out at the same time. Harmonious and perfectly balanced Venexiana convinces with every note sung. I can hardly think of a better way to perform the hugely talented Luca Marenzio.
Well worth to stand next to Claudio Monteverdi.
The recording is all what one could wish for, as perfectly done as this performance.



Live organ Concertos in the Netherlands.

Today I attended two organ concertos in the Netherlands. The first concert was in a place called Zandeweer near the Dutch coast, and the org...