Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Hanelle, Jean. (c.1380-c. 1436) Cypriot Vespers. Maronite and Byzantine Chants, Motets and Plainchant. (Top Recommendation)

From my collection.
Bought in October 2016.
First listen: 4-11-2016.
Second listen: 10-1-2017.
Label: Glossa Platinum.
Recording dates: December 2015.
Recording venue: Church of St-Remi, Belgium.
Recording engineer: Alexandre Fostier.
Running time: 76:06.
Classical relevance: Essential, reference recording.

Works performed:
See heading.

Work performed by: 
Graindelavoix, Björn Schmelzer.
(With participation of Marcel Peres as an adviser)

Now I could say a lot about this recording, but the only wise thing for everyone interested is listening to it. I promise you an spiritual experience of some magnitude. The choir is perfect in every sense, their performance is without blemish, and the recording superb!
I know well enough from my religious background how Cypriot vespers should sound, and in this Graindelavoix delivers the full package. Seldom did I hear a more perfect balance and well informed rendering of these Vespers, recognizing the insertion of the Doxasticon and some Troparia, from the Seventh century, "Simeron gennetat ek Parthenou". For me the music was a feast of melodies well known. Perfect! All is as it should be. This gets a top recommendation from me.



Graupner, Christoph. (1683-1760) Partitas for Harpsichord. Volume I.

New acquisition. Date of purchase: July 2017. First listen: 26-7-2017. Label: Analekta. Recording dates: September 2001. Recording v...