Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Gesualdo. Carlo Gesualdo da Venosa. (1566-1613. Sesto libro di Madrigali, 1611.

From my collection.
Bought in October 2016.
First listen: 20-10-2016.
Second listen: 1-11-2016.
Third listen: 8-11-2016.
Fourth listen: 11-1-2017.
Label: Glossa.
Recording dates: June/July 2012.
Recording venue: Chiesa della BV al Colletto, Roletto, Italy.
Recording engineer: Giuseppe Maletto.
Running time: 77:55.
Classical relevance: As far as Gesualdo goes this is pretty essential. A perfectly blended ensemble, and to my ears this can not be sung better as it comes here.

Works performed:
See heading.

Performed by: 
La Compagnia del Madrigale.

A new ensemble, founded recently the booklet says, but gives no date as to the beginning. But whatever, the voices on this disc are experienced and well suited to the music of Gesualdo. He did not write easy music, far from it. As a renaissance composer his polyphonic writing is complicated, and a tour de force for singers. But also your ears might suffer if it is badly performed. And I must say that I heard more bad as good recordings of his music.  A Sei voci is an ensemble I appreciate much. It is by no means easy music to approach, but some think it is, judging by bad interpretations that came my way.
I bought two volumes of this group, the present one and  Terza libro, the second instalment as far as I know in this series. As far as the singing is going I have nothing but praise to add. The voices are well blended, the female singers do not scream your ears of, and the male voices are admirable in their expression. You can hear that in every item on this disc. The recording is clear as a bell, and the ambiance in which they sing is perfectly suited for their voices. The air around them will produce a very natural recording, so in that sense all is as it should be!
A near State of the Art recording no less. A very welcome addition to my collection.





Bach, Johann Sebastian (1685-1750) The Complete Organ Works. Hanssler Edition. (CD 4)

After listening to the fourth disc in this series on which Andrea Macon plays early works by Bach I decided to stop wasting my time with him...