Thursday, December 15, 2016

Schumann, Georg. (1866-1952) Chamber Music.

New acquisition.
Bought in November 2016.
First listen: 15-12-2016.
Label: CPO.
Recording dates: October 2013 & April 2014.
Recording venue: BR Studio München, Germany.
Recording engineer: Ulrike Schwarz.
Running time: 71:49.
Classical relevance: For me essential.

Works performed: 
Piano Quartet, opus 29 in F minor.
Sonata for Cello & Piano, opus 19 in E minor.

Works performed by:
Münchner Klaviertrio.

A composer who stands with both feet in Johannes Brahms tradition. He inserted some modernity into his compositions, but basically you hear Brahms extended. I see that as a compliment, for if you can equal Brahms you are good, and Schumann certainly is. I tasted his chamber music before by another CPO recording so I knew what I bought. And it only strengthened my opinion of him. His inserts more passion, dares to step out of line, and gets some wonderful harmonies. The romantic impact of his writing is having a major influence. Just sample the second movement of the opus 29, and you will know why. But also the second movement of opus 19 will do. I personally have a penchant towards this work with its fine sonorities. I like listen to his music, it is as if Brahms lived much longer, but that is not to say that Schumann copies, far from it. He simply belongs to a long line of composers that kept to the old ways, shunning new fangled modernity.
The recording is good, and the performance is superb. Well worth listening.





Graupner, Christoph. (1683-1760) Partitas for Harpsichord. Volume I.

New acquisition. Date of purchase: July 2017. First listen: 26-7-2017. Label: Analekta. Recording dates: September 2001. Recording v...