Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Rufinatscha, Johann. (1812-1893) Orchestral Works. Volume I.

From my collection.
Bought in 2011.
First listen:22-4-2011.
Second listen: 17-2-2014.
Third listen: 28-11-2016.
Label: Chandos.
Recording dates: November 2010.
Recording venue: Studio 7, New Broadcasting House, Manchester.
Recording engineer: Stephen Rinker.
Running time: 71:08.
Classical relevance: Listen before you buy.

Works.

The Bride of Messina, Overture.
Symphony No. 6 in D major.

Performers.

BBC Philharmonic, Gianandrea Noseda.

When I first played this music, I could not make head or tail of it, and I am still very much in two minds about it. As the excellent booklet states, little is actually known about him. A talented guy that went to Vienna at some time in his emerging career, and became part of Brahms circle, which was quite a thing, because it was known that Brahms did not suffer musical fools, so there must have been something that the grand old man heard in him. Do I hear it too? Well yes I do, but on a whole it does not leave as much an impression as I would like. It is well written, especially in the many well build details, and the merging of all the beautiful melodies. But the knitting together is the tricky thing, and as much as I might admire the music, if that merge is not balanced, it will leave you with some blanks. And it does with me, craving for this one unifying element, that will let me say, yes, finally, that makes me warm inside. But as it is, I admire the excellent musician in him, but am astounded at the fact that all those myriad of details do not merge into a unifying whole. There, I said it twice.  Its partly because Rufinatscha never allows a melody to unfold, but hops from one idea to another in the nick of time.  What Chandos almost never does, but in this instance they did, writing a short summary on the back of the CD, and putting some stress on the words rich, dramatic, lyrical, ambitious strong in content, unfettered, etc. Well yes, agreed, but what is the result of it all? When this CD was released in 2011, I thought there would be more of this composer, as this is volume I, but until now, nothing was released as a follow up. I must admit that I am still curious if the compositions are all the same, or maybe different things are in store for us? As it is, I applaud the effort from the composer, and Chandos for recording it in very good sound, but it still leaves me unsatisfied as to the content of the music. Excellent performance.






Graupner, Christoph. (1683-1760) Partitas for Harpsichord. Volume I.

New acquisition. Date of purchase: July 2017. First listen: 26-7-2017. Label: Analekta. Recording dates: September 2001. Recording v...