Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Rudorff, Ernst. (1840-1916) Orchestral Works.

New acquisition.
Bought in September 2016.
First listen: 31-10-2016.
Label: CPO.
Recording dates: March/October 2011.
Recording venue: Ruhrcongress Bochum, Germany.
Recording engineer: Holger Urbach.
Running time: 60:17.
Classical relevance: This is a pretty amazing composer, well worth the investment.

Works performed:
Symphony No. 3, opus 50 in B minor.
Variationen über ein eigenes Thema, opus 24.

Performed by:
Bochumer Symphoniker, Frank Beermann.

A composer that was unknown to me, but attracted my attention considering the time he lived in. 
The samples made me curious, and since it was mid-price I ordered it some time ago, and finally landed in my player. And I am pleasantly surprised of how good a composer he really is. For these are thoroughly professional works, expertly orchestrated, and melodious as tight as a shoestring. Fine ideas are tumbling over each other without end, and many a musical invention has the stamp of originality.  He is an amalgam of many influences, worked out into perfection. I am very impressed, and delighted at that. A genius in his own right, unjustly forgotten, and happily revived by CPO. May they record also the first two symphonies, just a small hint that is to the owners of CPO. The recording is pretty near State of the Art, and the performance likewise.





Bach, Johann Sebastian (1685-1750) The Complete Organ Works. Hanssler Edition. (CD 4)

After listening to the fourth disc in this series on which Andrea Macon plays early works by Bach I decided to stop wasting my time with him...