Thursday, November 10, 2016

Nielsen, Carl. (1865-1931. Complete Orchestral Works. CD 1. Symphony No 1 & 2.

From my collection.
Bought in May 2012.
First listen: 11-5-2012 (Symph 1) 15-11-2012 ( Symph 2.
Label: Classico.
CD 1 from 10.
Recording dates: August 1999 & January 2001.
Recording venue: Liverpool, England.
Recording engineer: Not mentioned.
Running time: 63:15.
Classical relevance: Well worth your attention.

Works performed:
See heading.

Works performed by: Royal Liverpool PO, Douglas Bostock.

Let me make one thing clear, these performances fit in perfectly with the already existing interpretations, and do well as a performance and as a recording. The box with 10 CD'S comes very cheap, but the content is not. There is no booklet and some info of the cardboard sleeves, but that is about all.
Bostock is well aware how to express Nielsen in his true colours. He never hastens the music, but can be as fast as lightning when needed. He lets the music unfold so to speak, and does that in a fantastic way. I enjoy what he lets me hear, and his ability to draw me into familiar music. Not a detail is missed, and he keeps a very tight hold on this orchestra, that has a fantastic brass section. You will hear that in the second symphony abundantly. Captivating and mesmerizing is Bostock's credo. I would not like to be without this complete box, for I know what is awaiting me, and that is much. Go try yourself, it will not deplete your bank account, but it will enrich your musical senses.



Riisager, Knudåge. (1897-1974) The Symphonic Edition, Volume I.

New acquisition. Date of purchase: November 2017. First listen: 21--11-2017. Label: Dacapo. Recording dates: September 2010 & Februa...