Thursday, November 10, 2016

Langgaard, Rued. )1893-1952) The Symphonies. CD 1.

From my collection.
Bought in March 2013.
First listen: 21-3-2013.
Second listen: 10-11-2016.
Label: Dacapo.
CD 1 from 7.
Recording dates:  Between August 1998-June 2008.
Recording venue:  Danish Radio Concert Hall, Denmark.
Recording engineer: Jan Oldrup.
Running time: 60:30.
Classical relevance: Well worth your attention.

Works performed:
Symphony No. 1. ( Mountain Pastorals)

Works performed by:
Danish National SO, Thomas Dausgaard.

I take my hat of for Dausgaard and the sound technician for performing and recording a highly complex work. And when I say complex I mean COMPLEX. This is not an easy ride, and for me not always a pleasant listen. The technical skill in composing this work takes a genius, but that doesn't make it an approachable work by definition. It is a long work, very thickly scored, with to many melody lines squeezed in sideways and many more ways. For my ears it is really too much. The complexity makes it hard to enjoy for you cannot get a grip on what is going on, due to the fast amount of notes and the time given to play them. I admire the structure but dislike the result. It's like losing your way in an already dense forest, once of the track, there is no way finding your save footing ever again. Head nor tail this is. 
No, I cannot enjoy this on an emotional basis, but I have to get at it on a technical level, and that would mean for the long movements, one movement a day.
Too much of everything makes your stomach turn.
The recording is superb, but despite that you miss a lot of details.
O, well lets see what the other works will give me. This first I will not play again.


Riisager, Knudåge. (1897-1974) The Symphonic Edition, Volume I.

New acquisition. Date of purchase: November 2017. First listen: 21--11-2017. Label: Dacapo. Recording dates: September 2010 & Februa...