Thursday, November 10, 2016

Korngold, Erich Wolfgang-Bloch, Ernest-Goldschmidt, Berthold. Cello Concertos.

From my collection.
Bought in November 2015.
First listen: 14-11-2015.
Second listen: 10-11-2016.
Label: Avi Music.
Recording dates: June/October/November 2009.
Recording venue: Rhein-Mosel-Halle, Koblenz.
Recording engineer: Holger Urbach.
Running time: 54:03.
Classical relevance: Music essential, performance, check first by samples.

Works performed:

Erich Wolfgang Korngold. (1897-1957)
Concerto in one movement for Cello and Orchestra in C, opus 37. (1946)

Ernest Bloch. (1880-1959)

Schelomo, Rhapsodie hebraique pour Violincello et Grand Orchestra. (1916)

Berthold Goldschmidt. (1903-1996)

Concerto for Cello and Orchestra, opus 23.

Works performed by:

Julian Steckel, Cello.
Staatsorchester Rheinische Philharmonie, Daniel Raiskin.

Korngold's work is sublime and utterly pleasing, and even though it only last for 12 minutes, it is packed with a melancholy that touched every fibre of my body.
Bloch is not a favourite with me, but this works grows on me, every time I hear it. It has a lot to say and there is a myriad of fine musical details. Second time around it has grown on me:)
Goldschmidt was a surprise to me, a pleasant one I must add. Such a force and such a clear voice, with sublime orchestration behind the the music. I found it utterly involving. Such a discovery one does not make every day, so I treasure it. All works are tonal, sometimes a wee bit stretched, but always within limits of what can be done. I heard some reservations about the performance being a bit middle of the road, but I could not find this to be the case. Steckel is a agile musician, who works himself through these composition with great ease, carefully handling the dynamics, and never stressing things that are so easily inviting to do that, but creating a clean somewhat detached sound. He does not make them into romantic works, but has a clear headed logical approach to all three works. The orchestra, well recorded has enough punch, but never walks out of the work as an entity on their own. There is a synergy between soloist and orchestra, that works well. I do think however that certain parts in the orchestral score sounded a bit anonymous under the hands of Raiskin, but that is a small criticism. Sound is excellent, but then Holgert Urbach is a fine engineer. Almost state of the art!




Riisager, Knudåge. (1897-1974) The Symphonic Edition, Volume I.

New acquisition. Date of purchase: November 2017. First listen: 21--11-2017. Label: Dacapo. Recording dates: September 2010 & Februa...