Monday, November 7, 2016

Gabrieli, Andrea. (1532/33-1585) Complete Keyboard music Reassessed. Box with 6 CD'S.

I bought the complete keyboard works in July 2015 and was extremely critical about this set. I updated some of my equipment and to my surprise when trying to listen again the sound image was changed. I can now define all the different pipes, and the total picture of the instrument is more in balance. So I delete herewith my criticisms concerning the recording. This said, I keep to my opinion that as a whole it is not a good set to have. There are different reasons for this, which I will try to explain.
The organ is too forwardly recorded, which is causing some pressure in the lower register, very unpleasant. Furthermore, and this for me is more serious, is the fact that Loreggian's tempi are too fast throughout the whole set. It feels as if the music is rushed, and it leaves that impression with me. Even the fact that this fine organ is renovated back to its original sound does not mean I like the result, for I don't.
So I am still in need of another set of this music.






Salvatore, Giovanni. (c.1610-1688) Works for Harpsichord and Organ, plus a Missa.

New acquisition. Date of purchase: November 2017. First listen: 22-11-2017. Label: Glossa. Recording dates: October 1998 & June 1999...