Monday, October 31, 2016

Tveitt, Niels Geirr. (1908-1981) Orchestral Works.

New acquisition.
Bought in October 2016.
First listen: 30-10-2016.
Label: BIS.
Recording dates: June 200 & January/February 2001.
Recording venue: Stavanger Concert Hall, Norway.
Recording engineer: Stephan Reh.
Running time:74:07.
Classical relevance: Reference recording.

Works performed: 
A hundred Folk Tunes from Hardanger, opus 151.
Suite No. 4, Wedding Suite.
Suite No. 5 Troll Tunes.

Performed by:
Stavanger SO, Ole Kristian Ruud.

I always have been a admirer of Tveitt's music. I was introduced to him by the excellent recordings on Naxos which hold a special place in my heart. I was not aware of the fact that BIS released a long time ago the present recordings, but I saw them floating by in a BIS sale, and thought why not? This orchestra and conductor have a very good reputation, and most of the time BIS recordings are reference material. I knew this music pretty well, or so I thought, but what this recording delivers is no less than a sonic and interpretative miracle, that led to a new appraisal of these suites, at least to my ears. The recording is State of the Art, and I very much doubt you will find a better recording of these suites. And secondly, the suites as performed by this orchestra and led by Ruud, give a surplus of details and a creative depth to the music that I would term as miraculous. 
The well judged tempi, and dynamic boost it gets makes listening to these suites positively addictive. Every piece of music on this CD represent a world of magic and of an endless stream of fairytale colours. I sat on the edge of my seat, and was awesomely surprised how much more is in this music as the recordings with the Royal Scottish National Orchestra under Bjarte Engeset, good as they are, they are outclassed by the BIS recordings in all aspects. That is the reason why I also ordered the twin CD with the Suites 1 & 2 from the same performers, and hope that I can get hold of it.
An absolute must for this music.





Live organ Concertos in the Netherlands.

Today I attended two organ concertos in the Netherlands. The first concert was in a place called Zandeweer near the Dutch coast, and the org...